Sunday, November 25, 2012

Your work is not you

Croissant breakfast after going for a chiropratic session. Thought it be a pamper of myself from all the exhaustion I am feeling from work. But apparently, it doesn't have that "sparkling up" effect on me. Maybe because I was still busy calling people to settle printing issues and get things done. Something happens that makes me want to be freed to be tied to a fixed hours work even more. Discuss with my "office manager" on possibilities of pushing my working hours an hour back so that I could go for my chiropratic in morning so that I didn have to rush for the session after work. But it doesn't quite go through. And I endup have to transfer to another clinic near my workplace and head there after work, which isn't a bad idea, only thing is far from home if I'm going on Saturday. Well I don't know how it plays out. And recent saga of doing some outside projects makes you feel I wanted more time to be out on my own liaising with people printer to make things faster. In business, actions gotta happen fast but right now I'm feeling this laggard stage. These all get me thinking even more we are born to live not to work. But why such a large part of us, our lifestyle is determined by our work. We are being associated to our job title, our job duties, the company we are working in and etc. It is no wonder so many people lost themselves when they lose their jobs. But surely, job is not everything. It is just a part of us. Job can be addictive because is the easiest way to build and find our identity. Job is everything to me in the past. I love it. I love working, being doing something all the time. I'm not workaholic, but I love how I see I'm creating things all the time and getting things done. I'm sure this is familiar to many of us. Working is like a quick fix of establishing our identity. But recently as I approaching a different life stage and seeing more of myself (thanks to bird), I realise work is not everything and is probably not a good tool to use to search or establish an identity for ourselves in this world because work is dispensable, so does the identity we build around our work. Changes happen everyday, no job is guaranteed. Our job can be displaced so easily. Does that mean we are invisible beings without identity when the identity we build from our job is gone? Yes, I felt this way when certain roles I'm taking on seems to be vaguely displaced by another colleague. So it's exactly normal to feel this way. That's when I asked myself am I only worth the work I do? Of course not! No way am I going to think that way! Because that will mean I'm simply a machine operated by my company and my life is dependent on it. ( Thanks to my value of independency) I woke up and say no way am I going to be just a machine! It feels that way at times, but it doesn't have to be! I own my life and I shall determine my worth! So (with the help of bird), I begin my quest for finding out my own values! It's been an exciting journey, learning, growing and observing. I'm on a journey without perfect map but I do have a compass and that's my heart and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment