Saturday, November 10, 2012

Familiarity doesn't equate to most effective, or guaranteed results.


Learn a lesson today while trying to find a way to get to lunch with Bird's family. After Chiro at a mall, I got out of the mall with two choices; a. to walk a pretty good long way (probably 15mins walk thanks to all the rerouting due to the constructions) to the train station. or b. walk towards left to bus stop, hop on a bus, get to a next train station, or change a different bus to town area. Looking at both ways, I couldnt see train station nor bus stop. I decided to take option b, head towards nearest bus stop. Reason? Simple! Because I don't like to take u turn, and I prefer forward moving, then going back wards. So I rather be a station nearer to why I intend to go, than to be one station further. Anyway, as I arrived at the bus stop, I realise the bus I had in mind doesnt stop at next train station. Ooops! Immediately, I found next bus on the list (Bus 105) which I'm familiar with the number, see that it passes few train station so my mind set into an auto mapping gps mode, mapping which is the best route to take as I was waiting dutifully for the bus. And suddenly another bus passes by the bus stop slowly (bus 502) It's an express bus! And suddenly like a light bulb being switched on, I turned around at the direction board at bus stop. Jeez! 502 is an express bus that go straight to where I'm supposed to have lunch! I don't have to switch buses, or trains! Voila! I felt a sudden surge of stupidity!!!! Why didn't check the route of this bus in the first place?! I could have boarded the bus! I was almost getting harsh on my negligence. However, an insight struck me! I ask myself again, why didn't I check the timing of this bus in the first moment I look at the board. Answer? Simple! Because it is not a bus I'm familiar with. It's not in my mind! I realize how often we are almost always following the "natural" path, the familiar! My mind was busy mapping for alternative routes to get to the restaurant when there is a simple clean clear route waiting for me just right there! 

Lessons: 
  1. This reminded me of the 3 feet from Gold concept! Sometimes, we get too caught up with the one way we know and we totally forgotten about other possibilities and objective. Imagine if the guy who tried to mine gold, were to dig it from the other side. Voila! Of course, I didn't find gold today, neither did I finish any napoleon hill's book yet. But the lesson I learn is that doing something familiar may be good. But it may not be the best way! Maybe the best way lies just a few feet from you. (In my case, the best way was indeed right there on the board few inches from me!) 
  2. Sometimes, as we work hard, we have to continuously ask ourselves, is this the best way? Familiarity doesn't equate to most effective, or guaranteed results. Let us ask ourselves, what have we been doing the same way all the time? Is there any possibility we could do it other wise to reach a better result. 
  3. If you see some possibilities, would you be ready to give it a try?! Do you have that gut!? 
  4. Personally, I also realise perhaps it will be good to always prime our minds to look for better ways (not that current way is not good enough, but priming our minds to look for better ways indirectly have already formed a chain of energy that could possibly lead you to the "new and more efficient way") so that we will be more ready to accept it when that "way" reveal itself. Because I could have saw that bus passes by slowly and didn't turn my head around to check the route and continue waiting for the other bus (where I have to switch buses or train to get to my destinations) Imagine this. How would my scenarios be? But because I was trying to look for a better way so I won't be late for lunch! 


No comments:

Post a Comment