Monday, June 3, 2013

Asking good question

"These days when young people tell me they want to be lawyers, I tell them to go for it, but be aware that the real thing is nothing quite like the movies." -quoted from an article written by an IT journalist in the paper, speaking of his experience of discovering how being a lawyer is not meant for him after working in the law industry for 4 years. The article is beautifully written and most of all, it strike a chord. Well I'm no lawyer. Toy around with that idea long way back when I was still in elementary school. But decided designing is more exciting. Yeah! I get to create and have a chance to make a difference or so I thought. It sounds awesomely cool to be called a designer isn't it.

2 years in design agency proves to be more depressing than exciting. Late night works, last minute changes to make logo bigger and fill in catalog with as much products as possible as requested by the client. We don't get to deal with clients directly because there is a role called account exec. That means we have no voice to speak and sell our ideas at all. I got out of agency, grasping for life, doing occasional freelance works and it's just so common to meet clients who take freelancers as "free lunch" literally, not paying or late payment for works that consist of endless amendments. Went on with a few other stints as insurance advisor, computer art teacher for the kids and etc. I never really lose my roots in design.

I'm lucky to meet a toy company and got in as a designer who does almost everything under the sun. Of all things I learnt over the course of my years being a designer, something I'm glad I didn't missed out is that no matter what you do, what you work, eventually it all comes full circle to a lesson of life. I learn about love, giving, truthfulness, big hearts, managing expectation, making the best out of emotion. What I remember most of my days as a designer are the zest in the discussion of a "big idea" with colleagues, friends. The little sweet and sometimes silly things people do.

I have seen friends parting the glamourous ad agency and doing completely different things but with so much more fulfillment.

Time will change, glamour will fade, dream will change as we grow. Movies are fictional. The fact is there is a long story, hard work behind every job, every role. It is up to us to make it a love story.

Work is love made visible. "- Kahlil Gibran

I'm thankful of all lessons I get being a designer. It gives me the space to reconnect with myself and constantly challenging myself by asking question out of the box. In life as much as design, asking good question proves pivotal to a breakthrough.




No comments:

Post a Comment